Many organizations are making Jewish teachings and events available online during this time. If you have events to add to this page, please contact Melani Baker. For a calendar with more livestreaming Jewish events, click here to visit Jewish Live. Please note what time zone (Pacific Time, Eastern Time) events are listed in.
Uncertain Times, Certain Fear: Anti-Semitism and Anti-Immigrant Sentiment in the COVID-19 Era. September 16, 2020 | 3:00pm-4:00pm ET | Webinar. Echoing history, the fears and anxieties over the current global health pandemic have fed an increase in xenophobia—including anti-Semitism, and anti-immigrant and anti-refugee sentiment. Join HIAS and ADL for a dynamic conversation about the historic and contemporary intersections of anti-Semitism and anti-immigrant rhetoric, and how the current pandemic is impacting refugees and asylum seekers in particular. Advanced registration required.
Finding Our Voices: High Holiday Series. Sept 24, Oct 1, 12-1:00, and Oct 6, 7-8 pm PT. The period between Rosh Hashanah, which marks the Jewish New Year, and the close of the Festival of Sukkot is known as the “Days of Awe”. In our learning together we will grapple personally and communally with what it means to listen to the “small still voice” of our inner teacher and follow its leadings toward a sense of meaning and purpose at a time of change and upheaval. Our learning journey will be threaded with uplifting music to inspire and nourish the spirit. What messages are we open to hearing? Taught by Rabbi Samuel Klein, Jewish Federation and Beth Huppin, Jewish Family Service. Featuring musical artist Chava Mirel. More information here.
Thursday, September 17, at 8:00 PM EDT. For We Are Waiting For You: Enthroning God When We Feel Immobilized from Rabbi Aviva Richman. Part of Hadar’s High Holiday Derashot Teaching Series. Register here.
Preparing for Forgiveness: A Pre-Yom Kippur Experience with Hadar on Sunday, September 27, from 10:00 AM-4:00 PM EDT. Join for the whole day or tune in for a session that catches your eye! More information and registration.
On Virtual SJCC, you’ll find ways to interact with friends near and far. Take a fitness class, learn a new craft, meet with friends for community conversations, and more. This area features resources both from our J and JCCs and organizations around the country.
SJCC On Demand! Watch streaming talks and shows of the J’s best and brightest celebrity guests for FREE at the click of a button. Stay engaged, inspired, and connected — from the comfort of your couch.
The Institute For Jewish Spirituality is offering weekly Torah study, daily meditation, and an online Jewish yoga studio – all free of charge.
Jewish National Fund USA is creating engaging and meaningful experiences for you to connect you with the land and people of Israel, even during this time of social distancing. Check out their live and recorded programs.
Beit T’shuva in Los Angeles is offering virtual programming, including:
- Rabbi Joseph’s Torah Study: life in uncertain times. Mondays, 12:00-1:00pm PT.
- #notmycorona: recovery-minded spiritual learning. Wednesdays, 1:00pm PT.
- Virtual Kaddish Calls. Thursdays, 9:00am PT.
- To Life: speaker/sharing AA meeting. Thursdays, 7:00pm PT.
- Intro to Spirituality. Saturdays, 9:30am PT.
- Saturday Morning Services. Saturdays, 10:30am PT.
Hadar (times are EST and summer programs run June 29-July 31)
- Timeless Midrash for the Moment: Eichah Rabbah with Rabbi Aviva Richman. Tuesdays, 3:00-4:00 PM. Register here in advance to join via Zoom.
- Advanced Talmud: Thinking Through Consent with the Talmud with Rabbi Aviva Richman.
Mondays and Wednesdays; 11:00 AM-12:00 PM. This class costs $36. Register here in advance.
- Introduction to Talmud: Are Some Laws More Important Than Others? With Rabbi Alvan Kaunfer. Mondays; 11:00 AM-12:15 PM. This class will be limited to 20 participants and costs $36. Register here in advance.
- Intermediate Talmud with Dena Weiss. Mondays and Wednesdays; 11:00 AM-12:15 PM. This class will be limited to 20 participants and costs $36. Register here in advance.
- Adult Mishnah Club with Jamie Weisbach. Monday-Friday, 1:00-1:30 PM. Ground your days by learning Mishna with Hadar. Classes will be led by Jamie Weisbach, a member of our advanced kollel. Register here in advance to join via Zoom.
- Weekly Talmud with Rabbi Ethan Tucker. Tuesdays; 8:00-9:15 PM. Register here in advance to join via Zoom.
- Shabbat Prep with Joey Weisenberg. Thursdays, 9:00-9:15 PM. 15 minutes of Torah, spirit, and song in preparation for Shabbat. Join via Facebook Live on Hadar’s Rising Song Institute’s Facebook page.
- Singing the Psalms with Deborah Sacks Mintz. Tuesdays, 9:00-9:15 PM. Join Hadar’s Rising Song Institute for a weekly exploration of verses from the book of Psalms. Deborah Sacks Mintz will lead us in unpacking text together, and we’ll finish by taking a deep dive into a correlating nigun. Join via Facebook Live on Hadar’s Rising Song Institute’s Facebook page.