- This event has passed.
Car Caravan for Black Lives Matter
July 5, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Not all of us can walk in protests, especially during the pandemic, but we can still show up for the Black Lives Matter movement. That’s why Congregation Beth Shalom is organizing a car caravan on 35th Ave NE. We invite our congregation and neighbors to join us. Decorate your car with messages of solidarity beforehand. Homemade signs encouraged! You can also print Truah’s placard at home. You are welcome to come show your support on foot as well. We also welcome volunteers to support the event (see below). If you are outside of your car, wear a mask and keep 6 feet of distance between you and others. Due to COVID-19, we do not recommend participating by bicycle.
- Want to volunteer? Please contact Melani Baker.
- Want to do more to support antiracism after the Car Caravan? Check out ideas for direct action and donation at King County Equity Now and Black Lives Matter Seattle/King County.
Protest as a form of prayer
Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel famously described marching with Martin Luther King during the Civil Rights Movement as “praying with [his] feet,” a quote originating from escaped slave and abolitionist leader Frederick Douglass. “I prayed for 20 years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs,” said Douglass.
Route: The caravan departs from CBS at 2pm. Please drive at 20 MPH.
Starting at CBS, drive North on 35th Ave NE.
- Just after 105th street, turn left into the parking lot of Meadowbrook Community Center to turn around.
- Exit the parking lot and drive South on 35th Ave NE.
If you want to loop again:
- Turn left on 70th (away from the corner with Grateful Bread and Top Pot).
- Turn right on 40th. Turn right on 68th. Turn right on 35th Ave NE to go northbound again.
- Complete the route as many times as feels significant to you. It could be once, up to 8 times for the 8 minutes that George Floyd had an officer’s knee on his neck.